Jul 25 12:17:02 <gumbal1> -i am hotep your are scenehog we know not each other-
Jul 25 12:23:03 <gumbal1> It's been a few days since the incident, and Madeline's dreams have been growing increasingly more pleasant as the days went by. If one didn't know Miriam, one might think it was a sign that things were getting better, and not an indication that whatever happened next would be rather…unpleasant. Thankfully, as Madeline chills in her room, something happens to remind her of just that. Somehow, the door to the appartment slams ope
Jul 25 12:23:03 <gumbal1> n, and in walks…something. It's about four feet tall, presumably humanoid, with blue skin, pinpoint white eyes, long black hair, odd facial markings, a mouth filled with sharp teeth and a a thin, snake-like tongue, dressed in what could be described as the Fendi 2019 Fall Collection from Hell. Currently it's dragging a sack covered in wards with it as it makes its way to Madeline. "Hi. Is this Maddox's room?" It's voice is somew
Jul 25 12:23:03 <gumbal1> hat androgynous.
Jul 25 12:26:00 <Nemi> Madeline Maddox is just sitting on the couch, watching cartoons when that happens. It leaves her staring, jaw agape, until she slaps herself back into sense. ".. I um- yyyyes?"
Jul 25 12:33:27 <gumbal1> "Okay, alright, thanks. I'm Dreamweaver Cangrejo…full name's Aguacate Cangrejo. It translates to Avocado Crab in Spanish and I'm not sure why but whatever." Cangrejo eyes the living room table, and proceeds to plop the sack down onto it. Something squeals inside. "So I think I found the other half of your soul."
Jul 25 12:34:32 <Nemi> ".. okay um it's nice to meet yyyyyyoooudidreally?" Madeline scurries up to peek over the edge of the couch, right at Cangrejo. It seems curiosity's overcome her nerves.
Jul 25 12:37:07 <gumbal1> Cangrejo somewhat awkwardly shakes out the thing from the sack, revealing a badly beaten ELP. "In Leah's room. Difficult to retrieve but she should be out for the next few hours. Hid under the bed so the Tear Drinker bound to her doesn't notice." Cangrejo just sort of stares at ELP for a few minutes. "I've never met a human dreamweaver before. Dreamweaver Block would love to see you."
Jul 25 12:38:41 <Nemi> ".. you- ohmygodyou.. she- she's okay is isn't she I I mean who's- who's dreamweaver Block what's a Tear Drinker what's- oh god oh god.."
Jul 25 12:40:56 <gumbal1> "I'll answer those in order." Cangrejo has this blank sort of look on his face. "She's not okay but it's nothing that can't be reversed. Dreamweaver Block is a Marcher and my junior. They love humans. A Tear Drinker is an amalgam of souls compressed into a black ooze."
Jul 25 12:42:10 * Kioku (tr.qt.72.471|yromeM#tr.qt.72.471|yromeM) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 12:42:59 <Nemi> ".. that's.. horrible but… okay okay um let's- find.. the .. half of me and reverse this please?"
Jul 25 12:43:14 <Nemi> Madeline's shaking. Whether fright or general upset is anyone's guess.
Jul 25 12:45:23 <gumbal1> "…humans sleep on beds, right? I suggest you go over there." Cangrejo proceeds to take the badly-beaten deerwoman onto his back. "We'll start with your world because I'm sensing some rather troubling things coming from whatever this is."
Jul 25 12:46:47 <Nemi> Madeline stands and shakily heads over to climb into the bed in her and Katlyn's bedroom. How can she sleep now when..? But, remember Miriam. Don't be too upset. Breathe.
Jul 25 12:48:13 <gumbal1> Yes, Madeline. Don't be too upset. "…could you tell what's wrong with Leah? I am really worried about whatever's inside this thing?" ELP is despoited onto the bed rather unelegantly.
Jul 25 12:49:48 * Charlotte_ (moc.duolccri.llewkcorb.061812-gt|604321diu#moc.duolccri.llewkcorb.061812-gt|604321diu) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 12:50:03 <Nemi> ". .she- she's my best friend and she wanted to help but it took too much energy an' that like part of her soul or something and and and I don't know it- what did you even /do/ to her?"
Jul 25 12:51:57 <gumbal1> "Trade secret." *wink* "…okay, do you need help falling asleep? Once I'm inside I'll try to connect your dream world to this thing's dream world. I'll…probably have to purge the foreign influences inside. Not that it matters, I get the feeling Nasser can make new ones." Cangrejo shudders.
Jul 25 12:53:40 <Nemi> ".. I.. I- y-yes I need help I can't sleep like this.."
Jul 25 12:56:00 <gumbal1> "Okay." Cangrejo stares at Madeline, and very suddenly, whispers begin to form around her. The whispers grow in volume, to lunchroom conversations in unknown languages, declarations of foreign, inhuman law, ranting and raving of things with no basis in the unvierse. Color seems to drain from Madeline's vision and her world starts shaking as the talks grow to screams, to shrieks, to things indescribable in human language, to-
Jul 25 12:56:09 <gumbal1> Madeline awakens in her dream.
Jul 25 12:58:37 <Nemi> That was terrifying. Madeline's own dreamworld ripples with her emotional state, veins of fear running through it.
Jul 25 13:03:04 <gumbal1> It seems she's on her own, for a while. Left to deal with inumerable scenes of her psyche. A story of her family slowly turning to ghouls, told through a first-person look at several photographs. A thanksgiving dinner attended entirely by Katlyns, rotten slabs of somthing the only food to pick from. An empty skatepark, assaulted by constant screaming from an unknown source. And finally, a normal classroom, filled with paper ma
Jul 25 13:03:04 <gumbal1> che replicas of her fellow students. The atmosphere is tense, right up until Cangrejo bursts through the door in the most 'how do you do fellow kids' outfit Madeline's ever seen. "Oh, there you are. Walk with me."
Jul 25 13:04:36 * ChanServ gives channel operator status to Kioku
Jul 25 13:10:05 <Nemi> Madeline is deeply disturbed by all of this, in due matter. All little fears she's had, or reflections thereof- so by the time Cangrejo finds her, she's shivering and hugging herself, unwilling and unwanting to do much of anything. Madeline with her paper classmates, staring at Cangrejo for- help.
Jul 25 13:12:53 <gumbal1> "…oh. Right. Uh…" Cangrejo might've blinked if he had eyelids, so instead he just kinda stares blankly, before the entire scene changes. Madeline's still in the classroom, but the paper mache is gone. At the board, Daniel Vitan appears to be writing something in chalk. 'I will not waste paper on stupid pranks.' Over and over and over. "…feel better?"
Jul 25 13:15:09 <Nemi> Madeline nods hurriedly as her reply.
Jul 25 13:16:15 <gumbal1> "Okay, walk with me. We should probably discuss a few things before we begin the process."
Jul 25 13:18:04 <Nemi> And Madeline slips out from the desk to walk up to Cangrejo, still unsure of what to think of him. Because of course.
Jul 25 13:18:16 * SpookyBee (moc.rr.ser.ssam.57-3-10-25-vhf|eeBykoopS#moc.rr.ser.ssam.57-3-10-25-vhf|eeBykoopS) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 13:20:41 <gumbal1> As they move about the school hallway, Cangrejo is sure to shut down potential disturbances as they come. He…must've dug deep, because the way he shuts down some of these horrors seems to be rooted in things Madeline might've buried deep with in her. "So…how did this all happen again?" Says Cangrejo, as he has a Dream Xenos stop a Shuffling Horror in its tracks.
Jul 25 13:32:42 <Nemi> Madeline's dreamscape is certainly a potential horror-zone, and it speaks to Cangrejo's skills that he's able to suppress it. Madeline fumbles for words, hands clasping and unclasping. ".. I.. I don't know exactly I'm, I'm kind of a mess, you know? And- and something really really awful happened to me but I don't know /what/ but then I, I… I don't remember, ELP tried to help,
Jul 25 13:32:42 <Nemi> Leah tried to help, by trying to strip that out of me I think I don't remember and now it like left me in pieces and I don't know if I want it back if it was that bad but we'erehere now so I guess..?"
Jul 25 13:35:34 <gumbal1> It's child's play when you're dealing with half a soul. It's the principle of a Half Sandwhich and Soup: Divide and Conquer. Not that Cangrejo would know, being a succubus and all. He kinda feeds on far different things. "Oh, that's why Miriam had me going after Nasser. Makes sense.
Jul 25 13:35:39 <gumbal1> "
Jul 25 13:40:04 <Nemi> Madeline hugs her elbows, and she nods. ".. wait, she- you were going after her?"
Jul 25 13:42:04 <gumbal1> "Miriam's orders. She does not like people who hurt her students." Cangrejo shrugs, as he makes his way to the front doors…and suddenly stops. "…I'm worried about what's on the other side. It's…putrid. I don't know what happened between you two, but I can only assume something horrible happened."
Jul 25 13:44:38 <Nemi> "She tried to /help/," Madeline insists, growing upset, now.
Jul 25 13:45:36 <Nemi> ".. open the door. It's me."
Jul 25 13:45:50 <gumbal1> "…I fear her help may have been a bit too much." Cangrejo puts his hand on the doors, and shudders violently. "If you insist…"
Jul 25 13:47:04 <Nemi> "Do it." Madeline takes a deep breath of the dreamscape around her, to take it close to heart and make it hers.
Jul 25 13:50:09 <gumbal1> The door opens, and…a disconnect between the worlds was to be expected, but not like this. Two doors sit on seperate platforms in an endless, writhing void. Now it's clear why Cangrejo shuddered; it's fucking cold, not merely the absence of heat itself but an active, bitter cold. The doors the exited from are somewhat grimy, foamy green, like the back entrance to a high school. In contrast, the doors in front of the two, res
Jul 25 13:50:09 <gumbal1> embling the entrance to a hospital surgery room, are pristine white, squeaky clean with opaqueish windows…but something's emanating from them, an amalgam of many different types of hatred, all rolled into one. Self-hatred seems to win out, but forms both common and obscure seem to bleed through from those pristine doors.
Jul 25 13:53:34 <Nemi> And Madeline too has to shudder at seeing this. But a part of her makes her speak up- the half-Madeline at least has something of a spirit. "Now do you get it? This is me." She pushes forward to step into the angry, biting cold, feet on the frosty, radiating tiles of the surgical ward.
Jul 25 13:55:50 <gumbal1> The doors must be symbolic more than anything, because it opens intoa hospital waiting room instead. The hospital itself is just as clean as the doors…but there's nothing inviting in here. Far from a place to be treated, it's an uninviting sort of cleanliness; one that says that, for all that happens here, the patients inside are too low for what it provides. That they'd deserve a dark warehouse where no one cares for their wel
Jul 25 13:55:50 <gumbal1> l-being instead…the room is empty for now, and silent save for the sounds of air conditioning. A few elevators sit at the opposite end of the room, and to the left is a hallway leading further into the hospital.
Jul 25 13:58:27 <Nemi> Madeline has some suspicions, now. She can't remember much, but she does remember a hospital where the care of its patients was anything but; though the cold gnaws through her soft skin and into her bones, she steps on, feet following a path she doesn't entirely remember to the elevators. An echo of bloody stains on the floor in the lobby flashes for a moment. She swivels toward
Jul 25 13:58:27 <Nemi> Cangrejo. "Come on." And she presses the call button. To the second floor, like she remembered.
Jul 25 14:00:02 <gumbal1> Cangrejo looks around for a bit, poking through the objects for anything useful. Nothing. The hospital does not care. There's a magazine on the table, though it appears more to be a catelogue of humans and human body parts. None of them are named, merely numbered. Cangrejo blankly looks back, rushing over back to Madeline…and promptly freezes when he spots the elevator doors open, spilling out the accumulated pile of doll parts.
Jul 25 14:00:39 <gumbal1> It smells strongly of formaldehyde and chloroform.
Jul 25 14:01:09 <Nemi> Madeline's breath seizes and she takes a step back from the doors before her breath passes. "I know this. Where I saw myself as just a- thing, things to be wanted and used.." And she steps forward, into the accumulation. "Third floor. I know where we have to go."
Jul 25 14:03:20 <gumbal1> It's…it's doll parts. Madeline and Cangrejo step inside, and the doors close…before the lights go off, and something begins moving between the doll parts as the elevator shoots downwards with surprising force. A faint chittering sound begins. Cangrejo seems to whimper, slightly.
Jul 25 14:04:43 <Nemi> ".. but I can't let myself just succeed. I have to make things worse for myself first.
Jul 25 14:04:56 <Nemi> ".. that's what I always do, after all." Madeline reaches an arm to put it around Cangrejo.
Jul 25 14:08:40 <gumbal1> The chittering grows, as does Cangrejo's whimpering. More things begin moving amongst the darkness…and then the elevator suddenly stops, and the lights flick back on. "You have arrived at room three. Enjoy your stay." The doors open, and a strong force shoves Mads, Cangrejo, and a fair bit of the doll parts out into a crooked hospital hallway. Patients rooms line the walls and ceiling, windows closed over with off-white curtains
Jul 25 14:08:40 <gumbal1> . The doors look more like hotel doors than anything else, each numbered with a fancy gold letter. Some of them have 'do not disturrb (sic)' signs hanging from the handle.
Jul 25 14:10:04 <gumbal1> Oddly enough, the '(sic)' is an actual part of the signs.
Jul 25 14:10:44 <Nemi> Madeline stumbles at the shove, at the dollparts she's slipping on, and it's with a soft 'whump' that she impacts the freezing tiles of the hallway. She whimpers and tries to put the cold and pain aside as she scrabbles to standing. ".. we're- looking for… I'm not sure what we're looking for now. I don't remember.. maybe the- nurse's station?" And so she starts forward, trying
Jul 25 14:10:44 <Nemi> to use her eyes and ears, and keeping Cangrejo close.
Jul 25 14:14:09 <gumbal1> The hallway looks to go on forever, the end a mere pinpoint from Madeline's view. The buzzing and beeping of machines is present, thankfully enough…as is soft whimperings from a few of the rooms, unpleasantly enough. One of the ceiling windows briefily opens, and a fleshy, obese thing wearing a mask like a rorscharch test looks out, before closing the curtains once more. Their room appeared to be a mass of flesh covering a patie
Jul 25 14:14:09 <gumbal1> nt room.
Jul 25 14:15:48 <Nemi> And that enough tells Madeline she's not entreiyl in her own realm anymore. Or the part of her that split off festered even worse somehow. Madeline tugs Cangrejo on, perhaps to try to build some momentum so she doesn't let her feet get mired down by the cold and just give up.
Jul 25 14:18:16 <gumbal1> It goes on for a while, before the lights briefly flicker, and a sound like a dropped microphone is heard. «Patient Emily N[BZZT]ox, please return to your room. You have a visitor.» The voice is…well, it's very similar to the sort of feminine hospital PA voice you'd hear in a kid's cartoon.
Jul 25 14:20:30 <Nemi> And so Madeline hesitates. She doesn't know- no, she does know why the name Emily is so familiar, and the thought makes her shudder to join the shivering the hateful halls cast upon her. And she turns to look at her surroundings, hand tight on Cangrejo's, to see if any doors open to beckon.
Jul 25 14:22:38 <gumbal1> Several do. All ones without the little signs warning visitors not to disturb. One does so rather violently, taking off the top hinge of the door. Room 2002, that one. A soft whistling begins playing over the PA system.
Jul 25 14:23:58 <Nemi> Violence against herself tells Madeline that it must be the one. She turns to step for 2002, tugging Cangrejo behind her, and.. she tugs at the door handle, so incongruously fancy and badly damaged.
Jul 25 14:37:01 <gumbal1> It's already open, and looking into a surprisingly clean hospital room. Sunlight streams in through the window, thought it's bright enough that Madeline isn't exactly sure what it's supposed to look out over. The normal hospital bed and machines seem to have been switched out for a surprisingly comfortable-looking queen-size bed and a few dressers, along with a few gifts and letters. Standard hospital posters and wall appliances s
Jul 25 14:37:01 <gumbal1> till exist to remind Madeline of where she is, however, along with a sterile mint-green curtain.
Jul 25 14:38:43 <gumbal1> Cangrejo looks might uneasy at the sight of all this.
Jul 25 14:40:55 <Nemi> Madeline steps further in. The circumstance is strange, uncomfortable juxtaposition between seeming comfort and seeping cold hatred and the hospital standard. She pauses to look at the gifts and over the letters for names.
Jul 25 14:43:59 <gumbal1> There's a letter from Katlyn, a box from Kiefer, a gift-wrapped box from Austin, another gift from Zita, poorly wrapped to the point where it's obvious the thing is supposed to be a rabbit-shapped thing, a small box from Ellie, another letter from Athene, and an unmarked package, seemingly stained in coffee. Cangrejo's attention seems to be on the rabbit-shaped one.
Jul 25 14:46:11 * PuddleJumper has quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
Jul 25 14:46:30 <Nemi> Madeline always loved her rabbits. She lets go of Cangrejo's hand to … something from Kiefer. One stained. What /are/ these? Memories, embodied within this nightmare scape? With trembling fingers, Madeline opens the letter from Katlyn first.
Jul 25 14:47:38 <gumbal1> The envelope it's tucked in is from some French greeting card brand, from the looks of it. Inside is is a small piece of paper and what looks to be a currently developing polaroid, showing too people embracing in the California sunset.
Jul 25 14:47:52 <gumbal1> *two
Jul 25 14:51:02 <Nemi> That, at least, was something. They were trying, the two of them. For all their flaws, they tried. Madeline looks over the piece of paper and sets the polaroid out in the sun to develop faster.
Jul 25 14:51:26 <gumbal1> The paper is short and simple, with but two sentences.
Jul 25 14:51:44 <gumbal1> 'i've moved on. sorry i wasnt good enough for a letter back.'
Jul 25 14:54:42 <Nemi> That's like a punch in the stomach. But at the same time, Madeline supposes it was for the best. No more abuse. No more torture. She tosses the paper aside, trying to suppress the tears that nonetheless comes to her eyes. Even in a dreamworld, such things hurt. She opens the box from Kiefer, next.
Jul 25 14:55:59 <gumbal1> It's a bunch of doll parts, and a simple, hastily scrawlen letter. 'Stop texting me stop mailing to me I don't know you I don't know you I don't know you I don't know you I don't know you I don't'.'
Jul 25 14:57:02 <Nemi> No surprise. Kiefer didn't know who she was anymore, not since he was taken. She hid that well from all the old Stoner Crew but Katlyn, because Katlyn's reaction sent Madeline- destroyed her- to begin with. She tosses the box to the floor, and opens the box from Austin.
Jul 25 14:58:54 <gumbal1> Whatever's inside has the consistency of stew and the color of expired engine lubricant, along with chunks of what might've once been something meaty. It smells strongly of formaldehyde and chloroform.
Jul 25 14:59:33 <gumbal1> The door, having seemingly been closed in the time Madeline's taken in the room, has something bump against it, briefly, before the sound of wheels travels away from the door.
Jul 25 15:00:46 <Nemi> ".. uuuagh gha.." She puts the top on that box, and fast, trying not to vomit. Now the rabbity gift from Zita. Madeline jumps at the doorbump, turning back, and relaxes a moment. She pauses to let her eyes rest on Cangrejo before she opens the pcakage the rest of the way.
Jul 25 15:03:14 <gumbal1> Cangrejo's simply been staring at the rabbit thing the whole time, shuddering slightly from the cold. Perhaps succubi are better accustomed to warmer, less vile environments. Inside the package is a beautiful, inexplicably warm chocolate rabbit. It looks handmade, even. Along with it is a small piece of paper, written on in Zita's distinct scrawl. 'Don't listen to them! You deserve someone as good as you are, Leeny!'.
Jul 25 15:04:56 <Nemi> The warmth is.. It's something she needs. She sets the rabbit down, not wanting to eat it, it's beautiful, that thought of actual love, but.. It's Zita, too. Who knows what the little vampire's up to? She has a harem already, after all… Madeline takes a sharp breath, staring at the rabbit. She reaches for the box from Ellie.
Jul 25 15:05:16 <Nemi> ".. as good as I am. ha.."
Jul 25 15:08:14 <gumbal1> The polaroid's finally developed, and it looks to be a picture of Katlyn and…Ellie, oddly enough. Meanwhile, the box from Ellie is filled with several folded white dresses. The material and design vary: some are lacy, some are cottony, some you'd wear to church, others you'd wear to a party. There's quite a few, and they look new and good enough that it must have cost quite a fortune.
Jul 25 15:09:00 <gumbal1> Cangrejo continues staring at the rabbit, having ignored the bump at the door.
Jul 25 15:12:47 <Nemi> Katlyn and.. Ellie? That doesn't make sense. Why all these dresses? Madeline sorts through them, looking for a note or- anything. If nothing comes, with disappointment she'll open the letter from Athene. The polaroid hurts, but it's a numb ache. ".. what's wrong, Cangrejo?"
Jul 25 15:15:17 <gumbal1> Nothing. Nothing but dresses. The letter from Athene is…cryptic is one way to put it. It appears to be lyrics to some sort of rap verse. 'flying high over london/lubing up vocals with gin/chasing and ripping those skirts/gettin' the dolls with my flirts' Cangrejo, meanwhile, suddenly breaks his trance to look back at Madeline. "…the rabbit's alive."
Jul 25 15:15:29 * PuddleJumper (PuddleJump@2602:306:3157:nxtw:rmot:tkwz:kmuz:utps) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 15:16:41 <Nemi> That doesn't make sense either but.. London was where Madeline was born, that's the only connection she can figure. Born as someone different. A lifetime ago.. She looks up with a start. "Alive?" One more to go. The coffee-stained one.
Jul 25 15:18:56 <gumbal1> "There's movement inside the doll. I think it's an earth fauna." The unmarked one appears to be…a shortwave radio. A fifties style painting of an excited boy's head adorns the side. It doesn't appear to have a port for power cables or batteries.
Jul 25 15:19:28 <gumbal1> *inside the rabbit
Jul 25 15:20:11 <Nemi> "But- it's.. chocolate..? I.. can you tell what it is?" Madeline's more uncomfortable now than she was at entering the place. The confusing radio, she looks for a power switch to turn it on, lacking much idea else what to do.
Jul 25 15:21:50 <gumbal1> There is a switch, but all it does is flip a panel over on the top of the radio, exposing a grid of blue chrome squares. "I don't know. There's a lot of them but they're small."
Jul 25 15:23:06 <Nemi> Now Madeline looks to the rabbit with disgust. ".. bugs. Of course she'd send me bugs. Acting like I'm.. pretty and nice on the outside but just.. a bunch of rotting insects on the inside. Everyone thinks that. Don't they? Everyone hates me." She .. tentatively pokes at the squares, not sure of what to do.
Jul 25 15:25:04 <gumbal1> "I wouldn't be so negative. You might affect the dream." Something bumps into the door once more and wheels away. The squares, they're pretty glassy. If anything, they kinda remind Madeline of a sykscraper window, or a solar panel, or one of those Simon Says game panels.
Jul 25 15:27:22 <Nemi> Ah-ha. Madeline sets it in the light of the window. "I know.. I know.. It's just- I'm not used to trying to help myself. Or whatever this is. I'm sure half these are just- conjurations of my own memories, somehow."
Jul 25 15:29:51 <Nemi> ".. I really don't get the .. Ellie and Katlyn one though like they're nothing alike and don't even like each other that much I think.. or the dresses. Or the rabbit full of spiders or whatever."
Jul 25 15:31:14 <gumbal1> The radio suddenly emits a high-pitched charging noise…before dinging, and signalizing the death of the floodlight stationed right outside the window. Oh, that's why she couldn't see anything out of the window. The radio's currently emmitting static. There's a dial, with esoteric settings like 'isabelle' 'nina' 'keef' 'athene' and 'chris'. Currently, the dial is between 'chris' and 'isabelle'. "I don't know much of either of
Jul 25 15:31:14 <gumbal1> them, aside the fact that you're dating one of them."
Jul 25 15:33:57 <Nemi> That's.. odd. Madeline sets the dial all the way to Chris. Isabelle and Nina.. She knows those names, and feels guilty at seeing them. That's what she was, though. She was the fill-in for both, never able to live up to either. Just as well Leah found Ellie instead. ".. yeah."
Jul 25 15:37:34 <gumbal1> «BZZT-for Auld Lang Syne, my dear, for Auuuuuuld Laaang Syne, we'll take a cup, oh kindness yet…» The tune is different, however. It's playing that one song, one of her friends from the past always used to whistle. Someone who was there when Pax first gave them trouble. Someone who might've killed Moby for nearly killing that girl, if only he wasn't broken, impotent, and deep down a good man. That boy who took all the pain aro
Jul 25 15:37:34 <gumbal1> und him, quite literally, and let him build himself around it.
Jul 25 15:40:03 <Nemi> And Madeline's longest-term best friend. Her breath siezes in her throat. She never learned what happened to Chris, other than that he was gone so fast, so suddenly. Madeline lets her head bump against the windowframe, the lights gone. She missed so many of her old friends. Keef. Chris. She reaches a shivering hand to set it now to 'Athene'.
Jul 25 15:40:13 <Nemi> Madeline's teeth chatter.
Jul 25 15:43:07 <gumbal1> …okay, this is kinda a palette cleanser, at least. It appears to be a Panda-style rap verse. The words are hard to make out, as expected, though…rereading Athene's letter, they appear to be exactly that. In addition, the actual song proper has an exclamation before each verse. «(first!) Flying high over London, (first!) lubing up vocals with gin, (fifth!) chasing and ripping those skirts, (third!) getting the dolls with my fl
Jul 25 15:43:07 <gumbal1> irts,» That verse appears to be on loop.
Jul 25 15:44:52 <Nemi> First first fifth third? Madelin feels like she's in Silent Hill or something. Her old liking for horror games never made a lot of sense, but at least it's something she can try and use. She clicks it to Isabelle.
Jul 25 15:46:42 <gumbal1> It…appears to be a French rendition of In Circles. The singer isn't someone whose voice Madeline immediately recognizes, though it feels familiar anyhow.
Jul 25 15:47:33 <Nemi> She loved that song. But she loved that whole OST. She turns the dial all the way around, back to Isabelle once more.
Jul 25 15:48:15 * DarnellJermaine has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
Jul 25 15:49:34 <gumbal1> The others are briefly covered on the way there. Nina's is a spanish cover of some broadway duet Madeline might've heard and forgotten at some point. Keef's is just screaming. The rest are the same as they were before.
Jul 25 15:50:25 <gumbal1> Cangrejo seems to twitch violently at the Keef part, but seems just fine as the dial turns once more.
Jul 25 15:51:10 <Nemi> The screaming is not unexpected. Madeline keeps slow breaths as she battle shaking hands and chattering teeth. On now to set it to Keef. Click. She braces herself for worse.
Jul 25 15:51:35 <gumbal1> Still just screaming.
Jul 25 15:51:55 <gumbal1> Was Keef anything more than one big scream for help?"
Jul 25 15:53:54 <Nemi> Was he? Madeline can't even tell. And then she remembers that she got the order wrong. She turns the dial around and around, stopping at Isabelle, around again before stopping at Isabelle, then to Chris.
Jul 25 15:55:44 <gumbal1> Chris has changed. What once was a mournful cover of Auld Lang Syne is now mere humming, to a familiar tune Madeline can't quite place.
Jul 25 15:56:21 <Nemi> So many things are familiar and unplaceable in Madeline's world. And now, now, does she finally turn the dial to Keef.
Jul 25 15:59:46 <gumbal1> «…I loved you, Kat.» The radio suddenly clicks off, and falls apart. Inside is a large, obsidian key, '2019' engraved into it. In addition, one last piece of paper. 'one one five three applies to athene's verses, too. i recommend you use your gifts as instructed by it. joy hates it when she's left without toys'. Meanwhile, Cangrejo goes over to errant poke at the rabbit, only to draw back when its head falls off and several ma
Jul 25 15:59:46 <gumbal1> ggots begin crawling out, covered in chocolate.
Jul 25 16:04:38 * Knave has quit (Quit: Knave Out)
Jul 25 16:05:52 <Nemi> Madeline takes the key and last paper- and recoils at the sight of the chocolatey maggots. So that's Zita's 'gift'. Or what Madeline is sure Zita thinks of her. She whimpers, tugging at Cangrejo's arm- and she'll try to shift them through Madeline's dreamscape, paths well-worn even in her broken half, to take them above the city of her birth.
Jul 25 16:09:22 <gumbal1> Madeline doesn't quite get the resut she expects. She certainly does escape the room…though all she ends up doing is arriving in a hospital cafeteria. In contrast to the other areas, this place is dirty as all hell. At first, what looks to be giant white masses of an unknown substance mimic the sky view of Madeline's birthplace. Then Cangrejo accidenlty brushes up against a skyscraper, and the white mass collapses into a bunch o
Jul 25 16:09:22 <gumbal1> f writhing maggots. Well, the flies are stacked high, she had to guess.
Jul 25 16:10:26 <Nemi> That
Jul 25 16:12:16 <Nemi> That is horrifying and disgusting and the fear and hatred makes her retch. She knows Keef and Kat were special, and she was only a replacement- like a replacement Isabelle, a replacement Keef, and lingering thoughts from the radio's last words make her cringe into more maggots. She grabs for Cangrejo and tries to shift them somewhere else- somewhere clean, somewhere clear, somewhere
Jul 25 16:12:16 <Nemi> lubricated with alcohol like Athene's verse.
Jul 25 16:14:28 <gumbal1> If Cangrejo had to come along, a few maggots do, too. Madeline finds herself in the employee break room. It's pristine, clear, and there's a little girl dressed in rags, blindfolded, and kept in a cage not quite big enough for her to stand, sit, or lie down. A few bottles of lubricant, along with some tequila, gin, and rubbing alcohol line the shelves.
Jul 25 16:15:26 * Silvors (ten.letyrutnec.nyd.979-25-484-714|srovliS#ten.letyrutnec.nyd.979-25-484-714|srovliS) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 16:15:26 * ChanServ gives channel operator status to Silvors
Jul 25 16:16:58 <Nemi> Madeline can't figure what the girl's purpose is, but she reaches for the gin as she sheds maggots on the pristine floor. Now disgusted and horrified, but pressing on with a spine she had thought long since lost. She'll gulp some down, right from the bottle. The ragged girl in the cage earns a sad look as she does. Madeline can't fathom what part of her dreamworld produced that.
Jul 25 16:16:58 <Nemi> Or the maggots. Or any of the shows of decay and festering self-hatred.
Jul 25 16:19:18 <gumbal1> Perhaps some subconcious decoration. Perhaps a remnant of whatever part of ELP influenced this dream. The alcohol is vile, fit maybe for the maggots on the floor and little more. The girl seems to perks up at the sound, whimpering a bit. Cangrej, meanwhile, gets up, looks around, and suddenly gags, an impressive feat for something without a nose.
Jul 25 16:21:19 <Nemi> Alcohol WAS vile. But it was a coping tool Madeline started using when Katlyn introduced it to their room. She gulps it down and tries to speak. Five is what? She couldn't figure the order. Should she be looking for skirts or… That was an unpleasant memory to her earlier teens. Just a year ago. Or when she stole Keith's shape and joked about using herself and discarding her,
Jul 25 16:21:20 <Nemi> just so she could get into the Pax clubhouse. ".. it's okay, Cangrejo. Stick with me."
Jul 25 16:23:15 <gumbal1> Perhaps, but it feels almost like the only coping one would do with this was coping with accidenlty swallowing paint and needing to peel it off your throat. "Wait, what? What do you need?"
Jul 25 16:24:57 <Nemi> ".. we neeeed to… look for skirts? Or something? I don't think I understand that part of the lyric." Madeline, at the least, attempts to manifest or find some kind of tool to peel the cage open and release the girl inside.
Jul 25 16:25:36 * mrs_padri (ykv.hsr.78.66|hcriB#ykv.hsr.78.66|hcriB) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 16:26:15 <gumbal1> The cage is, well, almost as if it was willed into place just to surround the girl. There's no hinges, screws, or anything like that; indeed, the whole thing's one solid shape of metal.
Jul 25 16:26:45 <gumbal1> There's plenty of skirts. Didn't you just recieve an entire parcel of them?
Jul 25 16:27:10 * QtPie (qgu.vg.751.42|000_alliv#qgu.vg.751.42|000_alliv) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 16:28:00 <Nemi> Madeline /did/. But .. Ripping them? She tries to will herself, Cangrejo, and the girl back into the patient's room. And she supposes that literal might even work this time. Ripping them.. It doesn't make much sense.
Jul 25 16:28:42 * DarcellJermaine has quit (Quit: Connection closed for inactivity)
Jul 25 16:29:17 <gumbal1> As she rips them apart, they seem to lose consistency, becoming less like cloth and more like flakes one would feed to a small animal. The chocolate maggots in the room seem to go wild at this, though none seem to actually head for the flakes. Maybe their senses for food are underdeveloped.
Jul 25 16:31:42 <Nemi> That doesn't.. make much sense to her, but at least she can drop the flakes onto the horrible little chocolate maggots, the defilers of the friendly rabbit shape she liked so much..? Maybe they can eat and.. show her.. something? She's so cold and so tired but she can't give up, not with Cangrejo there. Maybe that's why he's there- he's something for her to try to protect and work
Jul 25 16:31:42 <Nemi> for. Anything but herself.
Jul 25 16:33:36 <gumbal1> As the maggots eat, the grow, and grow, and grow, further beyond how much they should be growing. Eventually, they end up crosses between starfish and worms, except most of them looks to be a little, well…dried out, for lack of better word.
Jul 25 16:35:25 <Nemi> Oh- oh, now she gets it. Madeline reaches through space to pluck forth the foul-tasting gin, to water her star-worm monstrosities.
Jul 25 16:37:14 <gumbal1> The ones that have already grown shrivel and die quickly. The ones that haven't? They grow, and grow, and grow, and continue growing. Eventually, at around the time they grow to Madeline's size, they try standing up…and fall flat onto the floor. Doesn't keep them from trying again.
Jul 25 16:37:15 * mrs_padri has quit (Remote host closed the connection)
Jul 25 16:37:46 <Nemi> Ah! The /order/. NOW she tears more of Ellie's skirts over the massive maggots, trying to withhold her own disgust. It's easier when they're bigger, somehow.
Jul 25 16:41:00 <gumbal1> At around six or seven feet of height, the things stop eating and, as expected, stop growing. There isn't much structure to the blobby, wriggly things, though their attempts to stand are admirable, if somewhat pitiful. Maybe they need some help.
Jul 25 16:42:30 <Nemi> Getting the dolls or.. Madeline takes a deep breath, glancing back to Cangrejo. ".. just- pull me out if something bad happens, okay?" And she'll head over to try and help the wriggling monster wormy things up with her own unusual strength, one given by will- the will to persist in a world as painfu ladn cold as this.
Jul 25 16:46:18 <gumbal1> How thoughtful. Cangrejo nods as Madeline does her thing, and for a few seconds, the things are actually able to stand. Most of them reach for containers, cups, glasses, dollparts, and such, one even pawing at the now empty chocolate rabbit corpse. Almost like a hermit crab trying to find its shell.
Jul 25 16:48:05 <Nemi> Dollparts. Madeline reaches through space to tug the heaping doll-parts over, to offer them to the worms. Like the lyrics, in a strange and perverse fashion.
Jul 25 16:49:51 <gumbal1> ~ALLY CREATED: FRIENDS~
Jul 25 16:50:46 <gumbal1> The dolls are awkward, creepy, chipped, look like they came from that weird store manned by the sex offender that only showed up yesterday, and yet there's something comforting about them, even as they toddle around like idiot bugs.
Jul 25 16:51:11 <gumbal1> Madeline still has the key to 2019. The Friends look up at her in awe, waiting for her next move.
Jul 25 16:51:40 <Nemi> Getting the dolls with her flirts. They're huge, but … Madeline sighs as she stares at them. ".. okay. Come on." She beckons for them to follow before taking Cangrejo's arm and tugging him on to the door. It's time to head outside, and head to 2019.
Jul 25 16:53:13 <gumbal1> The doors are nonlinear, unevenly spaced, and grow less and less appealing as they go on. Every single one now has a 'do not disturrb (sic)' sign on their knob, and all the windows are still curtained shut. All except 2019, whose window looks out into Times Square.
Jul 25 16:57:50 * DarcellJermaine (moc.duolccri.notlrahc.741831-sz|042761diu#moc.duolccri.notlrahc.741831-sz|042761diu) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 17:14:41 * mrs_padri (ten.tsacmoc.ag.9dsh.224-795-264-15-b|irdap_srm#ten.tsacmoc.ag.9dsh.224-795-264-15-b|irdap_srm) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 17:15:29 <Nemi> Madeline shuffles on through the gnawing cold until she reaches 2019, her strange Friends and Cangrejo in tow. ANd she inserts the key.
Jul 25 17:16:13 <gumbal1> *click*
Jul 25 17:16:22 * Knave (Wyrmknave@2a02:c7d:4a57:xswk:plug:mwlj:xhli:wpjq) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 17:17:11 <Nemi> Madeline tugs the door open.
Jul 25 17:17:18 <gumbal1> The lights briefly flicker out, and back. Madeline's back in a normal, not-pristine but not really dirty hospital, with regularly spaced hospital doors and nurses going about with patients. Only the door and window remain…
Jul 25 17:18:01 <gumbal1> The inside is dark.
Jul 25 17:18:25 <gumbal1> The window remains in its inexplicable view of Times Square.
Jul 25 17:18:26 <Nemi> Of course it's Times Square. That place that idealized the 'best times' with her and Katlyn. It felt like so long ago. Madeline fumbles for a lightswitch, not at all disoriented by the shift in positioning.
Jul 25 17:19:00 * DarnellJermaine (moc.retrahc.om.slts.pchd.76-465-405-12|reJllenraD#moc.retrahc.om.slts.pchd.76-465-405-12|reJllenraD) has joined #sunnybrook-fireflies
Jul 25 17:20:46 <gumbal1> The door is closed behind her by a nurse, and Madeline is left in relative darkness. The window that was visibly from the outside isn't present. For once, even with Cangrejo and her Friends, Madeline feels alone.
Jul 25 17:21:37 <Nemi> But she always felt alone. She fumbles around, looking for .. anything. Feeling for anything that isn't Friend of Cangrejo. A switch, something to open the curtains..
Jul 25 17:22:49 <Nemi> Friend *or* Cangrejo.
Jul 25 17:30:59 <gumbal1> It's silent, but for the sounds of footsteps. Then a whistle penetrates the darkness. Another not quite familiar tune…eventually, Madeline stumbles across a thin rope, in the middle of the darkness. Something's telling her that there's no return, once she pulls this thing.
Jul 25 17:33:01 <Nemi> Not quite familiar, but … She tugs the cord.
Jul 25 17:33:09 <Nemi> No return, but nowhere to go.
Jul 25 17:35:56 <gumbal1> …*click*. *click click click*. *click click click click click click click click click click click*.
Jul 25 17:36:15 <gumbal1> Floodlights turn on, illuminating the odd, ashen concrete floor.
Jul 25 17:36:29 <gumbal1> More floodlights turn on, illuminating it further into the room.
Jul 25 17:36:32 <gumbal1> Still more.
Jul 25 17:36:34 <gumbal1> And more.
Jul 25 17:36:36 <gumbal1> And more.
Jul 25 17:36:50 <gumbal1> Until, about two footballfields away, something interrupts the darkness.
Jul 25 17:37:11 <gumbal1> Huge, about ten stories high if Madeline had to guess, sitting down.
Jul 25 17:37:28 <gumbal1> Dressed like Levi-088 once was.
Jul 25 17:37:49 <gumbal1> Made of a dark obsidian.
Jul 25 17:37:57 <gumbal1> Sitting cross-legged.
Jul 25 17:38:07 <gumbal1> Six arms.
Jul 25 17:38:12 <gumbal1> Antler like hair.
Jul 25 17:38:24 <gumbal1> A face composed of a single, currently closed eye.
Jul 25 17:38:31 <gumbal1> ~BOSS: JOY~
Jul 25 17:38:53 <Nemi> Madeline stares at the colossal. The antlers, the outfit, the eye. So much, so familiar. ".. Cangrejo.. Friends.. are you with me?"
Jul 25 17:41:21 <gumbal1> 'MADELINE. Emily. girl' If they are, they're further into the darkness. 'SICKENING INSECT. Ungrateful wretch. poor child' Its voices are distinct. One, loud and cold, like the blizzard given voice. One, harsh and angry, all too familiar. One, weak and pathetic, an old man afflicted with rot. 'YOU ARE ALONE. Nobody's coming to help you. its a shame your so beautiful'
Jul 25 17:44:02 <Nemi> Then so be it. Madeline steps on forward, staring up at the closed eye on its massive face. At least it called her by name, and not a mention to the one that came before. ".. me, beautiful? .. I guess when you can look like how you want.."
Jul 25 17:46:44 <gumbal1> 'BLACKFACING COWARD. And it all goes to waste. youd make a good doll' The thing opens its eye. In contrast, it's a porcelain, white as driven snow, with a light green iris painted on. And it's fucking shaking in its socket. 'SO WHAT WILL IT BE. Will you give in. or will you die'
Jul 25 17:48:36 <Nemi> Madeline shakes as much as the eye does. But she has to be brave. She has to find a way to move forward and… "… give in to what?"
Jul 25 17:48:45 <Nemi> Her voice is a squeak.
Jul 25 17:49:02 <Nemi> She makes no attempt to deny its charges. Coward, yes. Adopting a skin that isn't hers, yes.
Jul 25 17:51:07 <gumbal1> 'THE DARK EYE. Come back to the shade and make yourself useful. one last doll' The eye very suddenly stops shaking, and fixates on Madeline. 'YOUR LINE WILL FOREVER PAY TRIBUTE TO IRO. You were lucky I let you stay in a bed, and not in a cage. leah tried to stop me but nothing can keep me from making dolls'
Jul 25 17:52:27 <Nemi> Madeline merely stares the thing down, inasmuch as something as small and insignificant as her can stare down a colossus. "I choose.."
Jul 25 17:56:37 <Nemi> ".. I.. I choose neither."
Jul 25 17:57:52 <gumbal1> "HAHAHAHAHAHA. Ha. heh' Its eye begins shaking once more, as it raises its arms.
Jul 25 17:58:06 <gumbal1> > Initiative
Jul 25 17:59:12 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+4
Jul 25 17:59:13 <GameServ> 4d3-8+4 = 4
Jul 25 17:59:24 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 17:59:24 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 9
Jul 25 17:59:32 <gumbal1> > JOY, MADELINE
Jul 25 17:59:36 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:01:08 <gumbal1> ’Your body is worth far more to me in my hands than your own.' Something emerges from the thing's fingertips. Tiny little clear tubes, with little needles at the end. They wriggle around a bit, before shooting at Mads.
Jul 25 18:01:13 <gumbal1> ‘calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 18:01:13 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 9
Jul 25 18:03:15 <gumbal1> > DODGE OR TANK
Jul 25 18:03:23 <Nemi> Madeline attempts to evade, ducking down and phasing herself into other locations entirely!
Jul 25 18:03:32 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 18:03:32 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 9
Jul 25 18:04:13 * PuddleJumper has quit (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)
Jul 25 18:04:13 <gumbal1> Madeline just barely avoid the tubes, which suddenly begin filling with an odd, brown liquid. The smell of formaldehyde fills the room.
Jul 25 18:04:19 <gumbal1> > MADELINE
Jul 25 18:05:51 <Nemi> Madeline tries to call her Friends and Cangrejo to her- she’s not alone. She can't be. She's not- not truly, totally alone.. is she?
Jul 25 18:07:26 <gumbal1> Something pulsates in the darkness…several Friends burst out of one of the floodlights, which quickly reforms.
Jul 25 18:07:34 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:07:38 <gumbal1> 'EVERY HUMAN THAT HAS EVER FOUGHT IRO IS DEAD.' The air begins to feel thin…before very suddenly and verry noticeably freezing.
Jul 25 18:07:45 <gumbal1> > ENDURANCE
Jul 25 18:07:57 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+8
Jul 25 18:07:57 <GameServ> 4d3-8+8 = 7
Jul 25 18:08:04 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:08:05 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 11
Jul 25 18:09:01 <gumbal1> It’s cold. So cold. (-3 PSYCHE) At least the Friends are unaffected.
Jul 25 18:10:37 <Nemi> Madeline's will was never strong. She'd been working on it, and that's what keeps her going through the cold that gnaws and bites. She stumbles, and her strange worm-doll Friends lurch to fling themselves at the colossus' legs.
Jul 25 18:10:41 <Nemi> (CQC)
Jul 25 18:10:48 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:10:48 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 12
Jul 25 18:11:01 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:11:01 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 9
Jul 25 18:11:45 <gumbal1> A large crack forms in the leg of the colossus. ’ERGH. You little shit. ah'
Jul 25 18:11:51 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:11:53 <gumbal1> 'oooooooooh we can bring friends i didnt even know' Things begin clawing out of the ground. Little girls, cut apart and sewn back together to resemble dolls.
Jul 25 18:11:59 <gumbal1> > LITTLE GIRLS
Jul 25 18:12:37 <gumbal1> Every one of the Little Girls turns to face Madeline…and all begin charging.
Jul 25 18:12:52 <gumbal1> ‘calc 4d3-8+9
Jul 25 18:12:53 <GameServ> 4d3-8+9 = 11
Jul 25 18:13:02 <gumbal1> > DEFENSE OR EVASION
Jul 25 18:13:13 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 18:13:14 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 8
Jul 25 18:13:20 <Nemi> Evasion.
Jul 25 18:14:26 <gumbal1> She can run but she can’t hide. In a space such as this, the dolls need only rely on the fact that Madeline can't use obstacles to her advantage. The things swarm Madeline, clawing at her before stepping back and giggling in unison. (-2 PSYCHE)
Jul 25 18:14:32 <gumbal1> > MADELINE AND FRIENDS
Jul 25 18:15:53 <Nemi> Madeline is tattered, beaten and terrified. But not done. She attempts to displace herself as her Friends continue climbing all over JOY, punching their doll parts into its obsidian form where they can. To displace herself right up in front of that twitching eye, and to plant a fist into it.
Jul 25 18:15:55 <Nemi> FRIENDS CQC
Jul 25 18:15:59 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:15:59 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 12
Jul 25 18:16:01 <Nemi> MADELINE CQC
Jul 25 18:16:10 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:16:10 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 10
Jul 25 18:16:12 <Nemi> MADELINE DREAM LOGIC
Jul 25 18:16:16 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+11
Jul 25 18:16:17 <GameServ> 4d3-8+11 = 11
Jul 25 18:16:31 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:16:31 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 10
Jul 25 18:16:45 <gumbal1> calc 4d3-8+64
Jul 25 18:16:52 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+64
Jul 25 18:16:52 <GameServ> 4d3-8+64 = 61
Jul 25 18:17:51 <gumbal1> Tiny cracks form all along the obsidian beast…but when Madeline goes for the eye, all she gets is a hurt hand. At least, given the logic of the dream, she doesn’t break any bones from it.
Jul 25 18:17:55 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:19:29 <gumbal1> 'Wretches, wretches. You want to know what happens to wretches.' Shadowy hands reach out from the darkness, to begin grabbing at the friends. 'Remember Madeline. You did this to them.'
Jul 25 18:19:39 <gumbal1> ‘calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 18:19:39 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 4
Jul 25 18:19:44 <gumbal1> > Strength
Jul 25 18:19:58 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+8
Jul 25 18:19:59 <GameServ> 4d3-8+8 = 7
Jul 25 18:20:06 <Nemi> ".. copy that, copy cat."
Jul 25 18:20:24 <gumbal1> But the Friends refused to be taken.
Jul 25 18:20:31 <gumbal1> > MADELINE AND FRIENDS
Jul 25 18:22:00 <Nemi> And now, to the back of the head, the Madeline goes to strike the thing in the back of the skull with as much desperate force as she can muster, ignoring the pain streaking through her hands and her many wounds, the cold and the burn of her own memory of blood. She doesn’t expect to really hurt it, but rather, to show defiance. The Friends wriggle from their bonds and continue
Jul 25 18:22:01 <Nemi> their onslaught.
Jul 25 18:22:04 <Nemi> MADELINE CQC
Jul 25 18:22:08 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:22:08 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 13
Jul 25 18:22:10 <Nemi> FRIENDS CQC
Jul 25 18:22:12 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:22:12 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 10
Jul 25 18:22:19 <gumbal1> ’ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH' The colossus begins swiping at the
Jul 25 18:22:26 <gumbal1> (fuck fuck ignore)
Jul 25 18:22:37 <gumbal1> ‘calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:22:37 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 9
Jul 25 18:22:42 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:22:43 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 12
Jul 25 18:23:24 <gumbal1> A large crack forms in the back of the colossus’s head. No new cracks form anywhere else.
Jul 25 18:23:32 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:24:18 <Nemi> The cracks tell her that this thing CAN be beaten, it CAN be driven back!
Jul 25 18:24:44 <gumbal1> 'ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH' The colossus begins swiping at the things on its body, making just the funniest scene…or, it would be funny, if it weren't for the fact that while five of the hands were going for the things, one of them was silently rising, only to quickly go and try to grab Madeline.
Jul 25 18:24:50 <gumbal1> > AGILITY
Jul 25 18:25:36 <Nemi> FRIEND AGILITY
Jul 25 18:25:45 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 18:25:45 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 8
Jul 25 18:25:49 <Nemi> MADELINE AGILITY
Jul 25 18:25:51 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 18:25:51 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 9
Jul 25 18:25:59 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:25:59 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 11
Jul 25 18:26:00 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:26:00 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 9
Jul 25 18:26:41 <gumbal1> The thing just barely misses Madeline…but the friends aren’t so lucky, being scooped up and outright crushed by the horrid thing.
Jul 25 18:26:49 <gumbal1> > MADELINE
Jul 25 18:29:09 <Nemi> "No.." She whispers, mostly to herself. They were horrid things, the Friends, but she needed them. And Madeline punches her fist into the crack, and tries to.. Will water to seep in vast amounts into the crack, then freeze and expand, to intractably burst the crack from within. Ever a copycat, but at least the concept wasn't wholly Iro's, just.. Ero.. sion.
Jul 25 18:29:18 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+11
Jul 25 18:29:19 <GameServ> 4d3-8+11 = 9
Jul 25 18:29:39 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:29:39 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 9
Jul 25 18:30:20 <gumbal1> The eye must be giving off too much friction, because the water doesn’t freeze.
Jul 25 18:30:24 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:31:14 <gumbal1> 'little girls dont know what they want ill tell you what they want they want to be used its in their blood eve wanted to be used lots daughters wanted to be used dont you want to be used little girl'. The little girls from earlier seemed to hace merged into a polyp like form, which swings towards Madeline.
Jul 25 18:31:19 <gumbal1> > DEFENSE OR AGILITY
Jul 25 18:32:34 <Nemi> Madeline attempts to simply displace herself out of their reach, for whatever good it does.
Jul 25 18:32:37 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 18:32:37 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 10
Jul 25 18:32:46 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+9
Jul 25 18:32:46 <GameServ> 4d3-8+9 = 8
Jul 25 18:33:00 <gumbal1> It does quite the good, given she completely avoided a strike.
Jul 25 18:33:02 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:35:07 <gumbal1> ’I never should have been as nice to you as I was. I should have put the fear of me into you when I had the chance. I should have ripped your body apart and tore your mind asunder. I should have made you a fucking meatbag to be used and thrown away.' The colossus suddenly begins spraying a peculiar mist.'
Jul 25 18:35:14 <gumbal1> > ENDURANCE
Jul 25 18:35:26 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+8
Jul 25 18:35:26 <GameServ> 4d3-8+8 = 5
Jul 25 18:35:35 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 18:35:35 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 8
Jul 25 18:36:14 <gumbal1> It’s…chloroform. The thing is spraying Madeline with chloroform. (-1 PSYCHE, -1 ON FUTURE AGILITY CHECKS)
Jul 25 18:36:20 <gumbal1> > Madeline
Jul 25 18:37:02 <Nemi> ".. they say 'in you lives an eve' and 'thy desire rules over thee'.. 'thou shalt not let witches live', they claimed you as unclean property.. they say you need guilt to be good, your brothers remain all blameless.." Madeline murmurs to herself as she struggles through the mist and her own grogginess. She's barely standing, that fraud, that dream of a girl she is. ".. don't look
Jul 25 18:37:02 <Nemi> down on me.. I don't look up." And now? She strikes for where she left the crack, another blow to widen the wound and reach whatever lies within.
Jul 25 18:37:05 <Nemi> MADELINE CQC
Jul 25 18:37:08 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:37:09 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 11
Jul 25 18:37:58 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:37:59 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 11
Jul 25 18:38:22 <gumbal1> But nothing came of it…
Jul 25 18:38:31 <gumbal1> …something emerges from the darkness.
Jul 25 18:41:26 <Nemi> Cangrejo is less physically impressive than Madeline, but he does, at least, have quite the potent dreamweaving to him. The incubus thus conjures the dream of a weapon, a demon-slaying sword or some abstraction thereof that Madeline can think of as an iconic heroic blade, something to thrust deeply into the rift made in the obsidian flesh of JOY.
Jul 25 18:41:35 <Nemi> DREAM LOGIC: CREATION
Jul 25 18:41:38 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+13
Jul 25 18:41:38 <GameServ> 4d3-8+13 = 14
Jul 25 18:45:15 <gumbal1> …it’s not a sword. No sword's ever defeaten Iro. No blade ever pierced Levi's throat. No knife ever struck that perverted old serial killer. But it's something more than a sword. More than a gun.
Jul 25 18:45:26 <gumbal1> > MADELINE HAS OBTAINED HER CAMERA
Jul 25 18:45:40 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:46:22 <gumbal1> 'PATHETIC PATHETIC PATHETIC.' JOY's eye splits open, and out pours an odd, white mist.
Jul 25 18:46:31 <gumbal1> > AGILITY OR DEFENSE
Jul 25 18:46:50 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+8
Jul 25 18:46:50 <GameServ> 4d3-8+8 = 11
Jul 25 18:46:51 <Nemi> SOAK
Jul 25 18:47:28 <gumbal1> > AND FOR CONGREJO
Jul 25 18:47:35 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+6
Jul 25 18:47:35 <GameServ> 4d3-8+6 = 6
Jul 25 18:47:41 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+10
Jul 25 18:47:41 <GameServ> 4d3-8+10 = 8
Jul 25 18:48:28 <gumbal1> Cangrejo isn’t used to the cold. Sucubi tend to spawn more often around the Nevada geographical region. (-1 Psyche) But Madeline, she's a London native. This mist is nothing to her.
Jul 25 18:48:36 <gumbal1> > MADELINE AND CANGREJO
Jul 25 18:49:40 <Nemi> Madeline's camera. Nearly forgotten in the depths of her worst days, but a symbol of the mark she left on the world and those in it. Something that recorded good times and bad. And here, even as Cangrejo shivers from the mist, Madeline brings the viewfinder to her eye. A London native, California-raised, who spent years trying to just figure out who she was. But this was something
Jul 25 18:49:40 <Nemi> she carried from early on, poured heart and soul into, no matter the flesh she wore.
Jul 25 18:49:46 <Nemi> Madeline depresses the shutter.
Jul 25 18:50:14 <gumbal1> > ROLL DREAMWEAVING
Jul 25 18:50:29 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+9
Jul 25 18:50:29 <GameServ> 4d3-8+9 = 10
Jul 25 18:50:36 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+4
Jul 25 18:50:36 <GameServ> 4d3-8+4 = 6
Jul 25 18:51:30 <gumbal1> It’s such a simple thing, the camera. Even if the science behind it is somewhat complicated, all you really need to do is press a button, work some settings, and a scene you want to record forever is in your hands.
Jul 25 18:51:53 <Nemi> And she wanted to remember JOY.
Jul 25 18:52:30 <gumbal1> In this case, when the photo develops, it's Madeline, happy for once. Whatever that means, it means that JOY has no place here.
Jul 25 18:52:46 <gumbal1> Its form briefly fades, before going back to normal.
Jul 25 18:53:12 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 18:53:43 <Nemi> Madeline really did want to remember something. Not JOY. But joy.
Jul 25 18:53:53 <gumbal1> 'stop stop stop stop stop all i wanted was the dolls let me have this let me have you' The little girls break apart, as their remains suddenly and violently fly at Madeline and Cangrejo.
Jul 25 18:54:04 <gumbal1> > AGILITY OR DEFENSE
Jul 25 18:54:09 <Nemi> MADELINE TANKS IT
Jul 25 18:54:12 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+8
Jul 25 18:54:13 <GameServ> 4d3-8+8 = 5
Jul 25 18:54:18 <Nemi> Cangrejo tries to avoid!
Jul 25 18:54:21 <Nemi> `calc 4d3-8+5
Jul 25 18:54:21 <GameServ> 4d3-8+5 = 3
Jul 25 18:54:23 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+9
Jul 25 18:54:24 <GameServ> 4d3-8+9 = 8
Jul 25 18:54:25 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+9
Jul 25 18:54:25 <GameServ> 4d3-8+9 = 11
Jul 25 18:55:12 <gumbal1> Looks like Joy still has a few tricks up its sleeve. The onslaught is worse than one might’ve thought. There's weight behind each of these girls, lives they could've lives, so cruelly stolen away.
Jul 25 18:56:06 <gumbal1> (-2 PSYCHE MADELINE, -7 PSYCHE CANGREJO)
Jul 25 18:56:22 <Nemi> If CANGREJO uses MADELINE's stats, he's dropped. Madeline's at 1.
Jul 25 18:56:52 <Nemi> Somehow, the girl with the camera holds on, through the cold, the onslaught of stolen flesh and lives, the hatred of JOY.
Jul 25 18:57:29 <gumbal1> "…hahaha. Miriam warned me about this." Cangrejo's shirt suddenly stains red, as he falls over.
Jul 25 18:57:38 <gumbal1> > MADELINE
Jul 25 19:07:17 <Nemi> "No-" Madeline brings up the eyepiece, now, and.. She wants to remember Cangrejo. Her failure to protect him, like everyone else who ever helped her. She advances the film with her thumb before clicking the shutter at his fallen form, bathed in the spotlights and the blood and gore all around. Even if she fails and dies, her camera is- it's proof.
Jul 25 19:07:17 <Nemi> Proof they were there. That they tried.
Jul 25 19:09:22 <gumbal1> …but nothing happened.
Jul 25 19:09:30 <gumbal1> > JOY
Jul 25 19:11:05 <gumbal1> "What a shame. Do you know how useful a trained succubus can be?' The formaldehyde needles reemerge from JOY, this time from the numerous cracks on its person. 'I'll have to settle with you, then.'
Jul 25 19:11:10 <gumbal1> > AGILITY
Jul 25 19:11:27 <Nemi> ‘calc 4d3-8+6
Jul 25 19:11:28 <GameServ> 4d3-8+6 = 4
Jul 25 19:11:34 <Nemi> Chloroform penalty hurts.
Jul 25 19:11:45 <gumbal1> `calc 4d3-8+7
Jul 25 19:11:45 <GameServ> 4d3-8+7 = 8
Jul 25 19:14:07 <gumbal1> Every single one of them stabs into Madeline. Every entry point is specifically picked to remind Madeline of who she was, who she would be, exactly the kind of comfort she could expect in JOY’s care. That's before the formaldehyde begins pumping into her. 'YOU DID THIS. You have no one to blame but yourself. a shame cangrejos dead nobody will be able to see you suffer'
Jul 25 19:14:20 <gumbal1> …
Jul 25 19:14:39 <gumbal1> > Call for help?
Jul 25 19:14:48 <Nemi> Madeline cries for help.
Jul 25 19:14:59 <Nemi> For help, for pain, for fear, for regret.
Jul 25 19:15:01 <gumbal1> But nobody came.
Jul 25 19:15:11 <gumbal1> > Pray for mercy?
Jul 25 19:16:22 <Nemi> She doesn't. She doesn't expect any. And so Madeline simply cries.
Jul 25 19:16:30 <gumbal1> She gets none.
Jul 25 19:16:49 <gumbal1> > Turn back time?
Jul 25 19:17:18 <Nemi> Is that something she can even do..? Wind it back and back and back, before any of this, when all she had to worry about was money and her spot on the basketball team?
Jul 25 19:17:39 <gumbal1> No, unfortunately not.
Jul 25 19:17:54 <gumbal1> > …but there is one more thing you can do, Madeline.
Jul 25 19:18:10 <gumbal1> > Go to sleep?
Jul 25 19:19:36 <Nemi> She gurps, gurks, wriggles feebly amidst the cables and needles. And what else is there to do but pass on?
Jul 25 19:19:57 <gumbal1> > You can go to sleep.
Jul 25 19:20:55 <Nemi> Madeline does.
Jul 25 19:22:20 <gumbal1> > It's dark. Water surrounds her, lit up by nothing in particular. The only thing she can see, in any real direction, is a clumped mass of soul energy. Bits of Leah, bits of Madeline, even a bit of Iro. It pulsates slightly.
Jul 25 19:23:13 <Nemi> Madeline can just stare at the thing. She wonders where, what she is.
Jul 25 19:24:03 <gumbal1> > Despite everything, it's still you. Beaten, broken, perhaps a little too much embalming fluid in your system. But it's you.
Jul 25 19:24:22 <gumbal1> > You have a feeling you have a little over half an hour to do whatever you need to do.
Jul 25 19:24:43 <gumbal1> > Time moves oddly in the Dream Within a Dream.
Jul 25 19:25:00 <Nemi> Madeline lurches toward the mass of.. Stuff. And reaches to grab on to what she feels is herself, to peel it away from the coagulation.
Jul 25 19:25:32 <gumbal1> "Madeline Maddox. madeline maddox. madelinemaddox'
Jul 25 19:26:04 <gumbal1> > All that's keeping it together is its self. You lack the strength to truly pull it apart, however.
Jul 25 19:26:22 <Nemi> At least whatever-it-is calls her by the name she wishes everyone did. Madeline keeps trying despite her lack of strength, being too stupid to know otherwise.
Jul 25 19:26:42 <gumbal1> > No dice.
Jul 25 19:27:18 <gumbal1> "I have nothing left. i deserve to be hurt. imamonster"
Jul 25 19:27:30 <Nemi> Then at least she can throw herself into it. She can't see anything else. ".. that's me.. I do deserve all that.."
Jul 25 19:28:14 <gumbal1> "I just want the suffering to stop. life would be better without me. imsorryimsorryimsorry;
Jul 25 19:28:22 <gumbal1> "
Jul 25 19:28:58 <Nemi> It's like listening to herself. Madeline hugs around the mass and rests her head up against it. She doesn't speak.
Jul 25 19:29:45 <gumbal1> "I want my body back. dont do this to me i dont deserve it. whyareyoubeingsoniceallofasudden"
Jul 25 19:30:11 <gumbal1> > Thirty minutes left.
Jul 25 19:31:09 <Nemi> "I don't know." Madeline hugs the mass tighter. ".. if I could be all the time I'd just be.. nice. Everyone tells me I'm the nicest person but people kept making me have to fight and I just.. I don't want to."
Jul 25 19:32:28 * Knave has quit (Quit: Knave Out)
Jul 25 19:32:32 <gumbal1> "I don't understand. how can i be nice i ruin everything. idontdeservetobeyourfriendjuststopplease"
Jul 25 19:34:59 <Nemi> "People tell me I'm nice. I just… try to be. Even if- like. Everything goes bad. I just wanna help."
Jul 25 19:36:16 <gumbal1> "I just can't be that way. promise me we can change. justdropmealreadyivedonenothingbuthurtyou"
Jul 25 19:37:01 <Nemi> Madeline murmurs into the mass from where she's holding on. ".. we can change. Even if you can't see it now."
Jul 25 19:37:23 <gumbal1> > Madeline's self-hatred has yielded.
Jul 25 19:38:07 <gumbal1> "There's nothing I can do, I'll always be the outcast. whydoyouneedtochangeyoureeverything"
Jul 25 19:39:59 <Nemi> ".. why? You're only the outcast cuz, cuz- you don't try and find people. And.. I- I don't know why I always try to change. Maybe it's just- to try and find what I should do? It's- the hardest part is finding yourself. I just have some better ways to do it than a lot of people."
Jul 25 19:40:02 <gumbal1> > Twenty minutes left.
Jul 25 19:41:11 <gumbal1> "They'll never understand me, I'm not like them. imsorryijustdontknowwhattodoanymore"
Jul 25 19:41:43 <Nemi> ".. you could just- come with me and /try/, not just- sit there and wallow? That's- that's all you need to do. Just /try/."
Jul 25 19:42:44 <gumbal1> "All I know is how to hurt. itrymadsireallydoidontknowhowicansaveanyoneanymore"
Jul 25 19:44:10 <Nemi> ".. well then just- try and open yourself to the idea, like, that you can love an' be loved." Her hand goes to pat a mass of Leah. ".. you can just- admit that you messed up, but you /tried/, and you can /learn/, an', an', like.. do better?"
Jul 25 19:45:13 <gumbal1> > Iro's Anger has yielded.
Jul 25 19:45:22 <gumbal1> > Fifteen minutes left.
Jul 25 19:45:46 <gumbal1> "itssoeasyforyouhowdoyouevenmanagetojustalwaysbethereforeveryone"
Jul 25 19:46:28 <Nemi> ".. I can't. But I /try/, and that's what matters. You can't hold up /everybody/ when you can't even hold up yourself an', an', that's something that I just learned so.. try and put yourself together and we can try and be there for /each other/ too."
Jul 25 19:46:52 <gumbal1> > Leah's guilt has yielded.
Jul 25 19:46:58 <gumbal1> > Wake up?
Jul 25 19:47:09 <Nemi> Wake up.
Jul 25 19:47:24 * QtPie has quit (Quit: Leaving)
Jul 25 19:48:05 <gumbal1> …Madeline wakes up in a hospital bed, situated right next to Cangrejo's. A few new gifts are present on her bedside table.
Jul 25 19:48:56 <Nemi> This again? She tries to sit up, not recognizing the import of the room itself, perhaps. After getting her bearings, she at least swivels to peer at the gifts- after checking to see that Cangrejo was okay.
Jul 25 19:49:47 <gumbal1> They're…none of them are labelled. Cangrejo is…his heartrate monitor should be going that fast but it's thankfully not flatlining. "…hey. Ask a favor?"
Jul 25 19:50:45 <gumbal1> There's three gifts in total.
Jul 25 19:50:56 <Nemi> ".. yeah?" Madeline reaches for one of the gifts, to tug at the wrapping and open it.
Jul 25 19:52:08 <gumbal1> "Get me a bottle of sacchor. If they don't have that just will some sexually frustrated doctor or nurse into the room. Promise I'll close the curtain." The box is cold to touch. Opening it…it's a spool of thread.
Jul 25 19:53:18 <Nemi> Cold thread. Like.. She doesn't understand it, but she reaches to take it nonetheless before moving on to the next gift. ".. okay." Madeline, ever trying to help, attempts to will up some sacchor. Or lure in a nurse. One or the other.
Jul 25 19:54:54 <gumbal1> If Madeline knows what Sacchor is (A common type of Mahsal blood often consumed for its sweet tase/healing properties), it should be fine (after all, what's anomalous sciences for if not that?). If not? Well, Mads is a lucid enough dreamer to make things work. The next one is considerably warmer, though it's wraped under two types of paper. Inside is a needle.
Jul 25 19:56:57 <Nemi> Lucid dreaming makes it work well enough. She doesn't really know what Sacchor is, but dream convenience makes it work. The warm needle is taken too. Now, the third package. She suspects it's significant. The Conveniently Sacchor bottle is tossed to Cangrejo.
Jul 25 19:57:51 <gumbal1> "Fucking thanks." Glugg glugg glugg. This next one was a surprisingly intricate geometric pattern on its paper. Unwrapping it presents…a call button.
Jul 25 20:00:01 <Nemi> And so Madeline presses the button, and spend the next few moments trying to thread the needle.
Jul 25 20:02:58 <gumbal1> In comes a peculiar sight. Several nurse Madelines dressed in hospital scrubs, wheeling in a patient Madeline. A doctor Madeline follows. She looks over to the Real Madeline, with an odd look.
Jul 25 20:03:37 <Nemi> ".. I really look like /that/?" Madeline murmurs to Cangrejo. She holds up the needle and thread, blinking.
Jul 25 20:04:31 <gumbal1> Cangrejo nods. The doctor Madeline just tilts her head and says a single word.
Jul 25 20:04:35 <gumbal1> "Ready?"
Jul 25 20:05:12 <Nemi> ".. Ready."
Jul 25 20:06:04 <gumbal1> Madeline wakes up, back to her old, complete self. Cangrejo is doubled over on the floor, and seems to have vomited blood, but at the very least is still twitching.
Jul 25 20:07:26 <Nemi> Madeline hurries to Cangrejo's side, hardly keeping in mind the surroundings as she tries to check him over and do what little she can.
Jul 25 20:08:11 <gumbal1> Cangrejo gives a thumbs up, before couching up a bit of formaldehyde.
Jul 25 20:08:30 <Nemi> And now Madeline looks up and around to see what surrounds her.
Jul 25 20:09:05 <gumbal1> Her room, mostly.
Jul 25 20:09:43 <Nemi> ".. I feel.. different. Kinda.. miserable, but not really. .. bad stuff but- we made it."
Jul 25 20:10:38 <gumbal1> "…just fucking shunt me back to the dreamvoid ple-" Crangrejo disappears.
Jul 25 20:12:38 <Nemi> ".. bye." Madeline looks around, and sighs. ".. more of the same, I guess."
Jul 25 20:13:25 <gumbal1> ~more of the same, more of the scene~

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License