It all goes back and back, to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance in our steads.
Demeanor: A chill, relaxed guy.
Nature: Tyler's got a lot on his mind, but he tries to act positive around others.
Description: Tyler is a lanky African-American youth of 6'3'' and 160 lbs. His skin is dark brown, with occasional patches of stony grey here and there. His eyes are gold, and his hair (which he's trying to grow out into dreads) is black. His wardrobe generally lacks sleeves or legs that go beyond the knee, due to his relationship with light. Around his neck is a stone collar that just won't come off.
HP and Psyche start at 6, can't raise during creation, but add 1/2 of Brawn to HP.
Brawn, Agility and Brains start at 1 each, starting cap 4, total cap 6, and you get 5 points to distribute among them.
Things your character is good at, things normal people can do
Things you're character is good at, things normal people can do.
Skills rolls add their associated stat as well (Brawn, Agility or Brains). You get 12 points to spend on skills at creation, with a starting cap of 4 and total cap of 6.
- "Tyler, you're a smart kid. Don't let mom and dad bring you down." (Brains): 3. Tyler's brother taught him to see the best in everything. Whether cheering people up or keeping calm in bad situations, Tyler is the person you want by your side when bad times strike.
- "There's strength in your mistakes, Tyler. Try to find it." (Brawn): 3. To please his parents, Tyler enrolled in track at age 10. He hated every minute of it, but he came out with better fortitude and endurance than before.
- "Please don't go down the same path I did." (Brawn): 3. Tyler's parents forcibly enrolled him in his school's wrestling team around the time his brother was disowned. Tyler, as such, is rather good at self-defense.
- "I miss it all, Tyler. Every late night study session, every Skype chat over the latest book they got you reading, and every Thanksgiving weekend spent in the library." (Brains): 3. Tyler and Gordon bonded mostly through their shared love of academics.
These are things you're character accomplishes via their power.
Abilities/Powers should be fairly broad, but look at other characters for good examples. They can grow over time, so don't worry if you start on the small side! You get 7 points to spend on powers at creation, with a starting cap of 4 and total cap of 7. Powers add your Tier to their rolls, usually.
- "Can you believe it, Tyler? A race of superhumans, right beneath our noses!": 4. Tyler, following the incident with the stone collar Gordon sent, carries the essence of the Stone Men, superbeings who lived before human history. Tyler, having inherited their abilities from the stone collar, can freely turn his body to various types of stone, merge with the stone around him, and generally live as the Stone Men lived.
- "In tune with the earth itself! How wonderful!": 4. The Stone Men were notorious for their geomancy. As such, Tyler possesses an affinity for communicating with the very Earth itself, as well as those creatures that inhabit it. This has a variety of applications, including, but not limited to:
- Tracking: Tyler can easily track paths made along ground.
- Detect Object:Tyler can detect objects on or within the Earth from a reasonable distance.
- Communication: Tyler can communicate with ground-dwelling creatures and spirits.
- Call to Aid: Tyler can call ground-dwelling creatures to his aid.
- "And it's said they could even manipulate the light itself!": 3. The Stone Men lived and fed off light, and as such their skin was perfect for light tricks. Tyler can manipulate his skin to manipulate light, creating images or directing light to certain places (like people's eyes).
The side effect of your powers, not necessary.
- "Tyler, this isn't a toy. Please do not play with it." (Severe): Tyler, like the Stone Men, must always be exposed to a certain amount light. The light of an overcast day or the light of a campfire is typically enough to satisfy Tyler. If not exposed to enough light, Tyler will grow lethargic and eventually begin to whither away.
- "For some reason, they all just disappeared off the Earth, with records dropping off around twenty thousand years ago." (Mild): Humans are the dominant sapients on Earth for a reason, chiefly their incredibly high psychic resistance. Tyler, as a Stone Man, does not have that. Tyler takes a -4 penalty to mind-affecting powers. In addition, leaving Earth or any place with a huge number of humans leaves Tyler weak to the things that lurk beyond. Tyler's stats will be halved from the stress, and staying there for more than a month will result in complete takeover by an eldritch entity.
List everything your character carries on their person here. Be reasonable.
- Student ID
- Cross necklace
- Stone Collar (won't come off)
And everything that they keep in their dorm at SunnyBrook. Anything that's not listed here or in the section above will be difficult for the character to retrieve.
- A very special letter
- Autographed EW&F poster
- Several rocks of various types
- Industrial lamp
Tyler White was born on August 11th, 2002, in Dallas, Texas. The younger child to his brother, Gordon White, by ten years, Tyler often found himself in his brother's shadow for much of his early life, always being compared to him, often unfavorably. Ironically enough, Tyler coped with this burden by bonding with his brother whenever he was around.
Then, for some odd reason, his parents ended up disowning Gordon, refusing to tell Tyler why. Immediately Tyler was showered with the attention he was neglected over the years, to an overbearing extent. The expectations only grew worse and worse, however, and as Tyler's schedule filled with cram classes and sports, his stress grew and grew. Eventually, on March 16th, 2018, Tyler made his decision to run away from home the following day.
To this day, Tyler's not sure if what happened next was a blessing or a curse.
On March 17, 2018, a package addressed for Tyler appeared at the White's doorstep. Inside was a stone collar, several records of odd gylphs, and a heartfelt note from his brother Gordon. The note, in addition to the standard sappy stuff you'd send the person you haven't seen in 4 years, contained information on research involving a species of sapient humanoids known as the Stone Men, who lived in the light and kept in tune with the Earth. In addition, the letter informed Tyler to send the stone collar over to Thompson, a colleague of his who lived in the area.
One problem: Later that night, Tyler put on the collar as a joke.
Tyler felt nothing at first, aside from the strain of having a (surprisingly light) collar that won't come off. Deciding against waking his parents up to go for help (they didn't like that much), Tyler went to sleep. Then, upon waking up (at 4 AM), Tyler found that he felt he was being choked to death, and immediately went to turn on the light to find out what it was. As the light filled the room, the sensation stopped. You can probably guess what happened once he turned the light back off, and then what happen when he immediately turned it back on, and then off again to test what happened, and then back on to make sure he didn't die in his sleep at age 15.
Breakfast was not fun that morning, as it wouldn't be if you suddenly came downstairs wearing an odd collar and with some weird skin disorder that turned half your body grey and cracked. Upon being forcibly escorted to the hospital, it was discovered that no matter how much force was applied to the stone collar, it wouldn't come off or break.
It was about at this point that the GWU intervened and sent Tyler to a facility to make sure he wasn't developing some odd superdisease that would wipe out humanity. Several tests and a few mishaps, and they shipped him off to Sunnybrook.
- Loves watching baseball.
- Favorite subjects are math and science.
- Speaks English fluently, knows the basics of Spanish
- Favorite band is Earth, Wind, & Fire
Numbers Tyler has Acquired
Thoughts and Relationships
- I'm growing too used to frustratingly cute creepy eldritch goth chicks, I'm thinking.
XP: 7 CASH: 100
Tier 0 upgrades:
- -4 XP: Power Boost (Power 1 and 2. "Just writing in. Something happen?")
- -4 XP: Toughen Up ("Take it easy on the spaghetti, dude. Too much carbs ain't good.")
Career XP: 15
Career Cash: 200