This page is from before the early-2017 system revamp. The updated page is Aoi Ryoukai (Revamped).
Name: Aoi Ryoukai (領海 青い Ryoukai Aoi) lit. "Blue Waters"
Note: Aoi is completely, 100% mute. This is necessary information to understand anything about her, which is why it's here instead of later.
Aoi is quiet, shy, and reserved, preferring to spend her time with her nose in a book (if you can't find her, the library is a good bet). Attempting to interrupt her will likely result in a slightly annoyed look and a return to her book, along with her business card by way of an introduction if you're lucky. Her disability makes it hard for her to make friends, so she keeps to herself for the most part. When she makes friends, however, she proves to be loyal and reliable, always the steady rock of the team. She has an almost legendarily long fuse, sometimes seeming almost emotionless. However, the last thing you should do is mess with her friends - it will likely win you a quick, silent, and unexpected end. She is often labeled as unobservant, but this is a guise; she is almost always the single most aware person in the room, no matter what she's doing.
Aoi, despite seeming like an immutable, unbotherable rock at first, is really quite vulnerable. Perhaps partly because of how difficult it is for her to communicate, she tends to bottle her emotions up, which later results in huge and violent blowouts. As such, she spends rather a large amount of money on training dummies. She tends to be overprotective and motherly, which can get on her friend's nerves from time to time and makes her prone to putting herself in unnecessary danger for her friends. She also shows promise as an excellent tactician, often finding the fastest, most elegant, safest way through a fight or situation with seemingly little trouble. She also suffers from a mild form of PTSD (reason explained in Personal History), which sometimes causes her to break down. She is a closet lesbian and somewhat of an androphobe due to the same incident that caused both her muteness and her PTSD.
Aoi stands at a whopping 4'10" tall. She has straight shoulder-length black hair with a blue streak perpetually dyed into the right side of her bangs and two small black cat ears perched on top. She dresses mostly in black clothes with blue accents, though she's occasionally seen wearing something more fancy (blue if at all possible). She prefers to wear a black half-mask over her mouth when going into battle, not unlike the lower half of a ninja mask. She's fairly athletically built, and while she isn't particularly strong her size and speed make her a formidable opponent.
- Stealth (3) Agility
- Research/Memorization (2) Brains
- Martial Arts (3) Agility
- Analysis (2) Brains
- Weapon/Tool Improvisation (2) Brains (basically McGyvering, but specifically geared towards weapons/tools)
- Perception (3 [from weakness]) Brains
Broken Silence - 4
Aoi, ironically, has the ability to scream so loudly that anything and everything nearby will be holding it's ears at best, and torn to pieces at worst (reminiscent of Black Canary's "Canary Cry"). At first, she will have trouble controlling it, but as time and training goes on she will gain the ability to focus it towards a single point, as well as gaining better control over the frequency and volume to maximize the efficiency of her attacks on an enemy-by-enemy basis.
Aqous Blade - 3
Aoi can control and create water in all it's forms to a small extent, usually manifested in channeling it through her sword or other tools. This connects to her weaponset in some interesting ways, including use of ice shuriken and steam-based smoke bombs. When unleashed as a raw attack (i.e. rolling to use this directly), however, she forms a tornado of water around herself that can pick up or harm opponents.
- Her muteness makes it difficult for her to communicate effectively, forcing her to resort to sign language, pencil and paper, or some sort of device, even on the battlefield. (Severe, +3 skill points taken)
- Occasionally has PTSD attacks in uncomfortable situations.
- Her prized katana
- A glove designed to channel her water powers into ice shuriken
- Four steam-based smoke bombs, replenished manually during her free time
- A stack of business cards bearing her name and information, mainly used for low-effort introductions
- A pen and notepad to allow her to communicate
- A smartphone
In her dorm:
- Way, way too many books of nearly every conceivable subject and genre
- Materials for making her smoke bombs/repairing her gear
- An old acoustic guitar
- Paper, spare notepads/pens/pencils
Aoi comes from a small village in rural Japan. Her father was an officer in the Japanese military, so she was raised by her mother, only occasionally seeing her father. Unfortunately, before long tragedy struck, and her village was torn apart by a group of roving bandits. Her mother was killed in front of her at the age of 7, leaving her traumatized, alone, and scared, at the mercy of a group of men with no moral compass whatsoever. I'll spare you the details with only the information that the abuse she endured is the reason for both her muteness, her PTSD, and her androphobia. Her father's military did nothing whatsoever, and she developed a burning hatred for him as a result.
After somehow escaping her mother's killers, she wandered the world training, growing stronger and smarter in the hopes that one day she could rid the world of the kind of men that killed her mother, and of the men like her father who ignored it. She made her first kill at 8 years old. During her time of self-induced exile, she developed her skills as a martial artist and weapons technician, creating the first prototypes of her current gear from junkyard scraps. She also discovered that she was anomalous, beginning to hone her powers towards her revenge.
Since coming to Fifth Sanctum
Aoi wandered into town for a resupply, finding out there was a place called Fifth Sanctum where she could rest for a while. Upon coming to the school, she met Skix, who was more accepting of her than almost anyone had been in 10 years, sealing her decision to stay and enroll. Since then, she has spent most of her time peacefully going back and forth between her dorm and the library, or reading in the courtyard.
- Sandra "Skix" Brown (friend)
- Met on coming to Fifth Sanctum. First friend at the school.
- Aiko Minami (acquaintance)
- Introduced rather awkwardly by Skix on account of her blindness.
- Jae Yun Fei (friend)
- Met at the library, bonded over disabilities and books.
- Nate Nicholson (friend)
- The one male at the school Aoi really trusts as of yet. Met in the courtyard on a library trip.
- Veron Aetheleas (tentative truce)
- The single person Aoi trusts the least at the school (that she knows), on account of him startling her into a minor PTSD attack while she was talking to Nate.